Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Mon Feb 14 22:53:28 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 23:18, Alexander Dymo wrote:

> I looked at SConscript you've posted and I'm a bit scaried now.
> That file looks as difficult to parse and modify by an IDE as the old
> Makefile.am's.

Why would an IDE need to parse it ? It only needs to generate it. If you're
thinking of importing a project, then it's even easier : just write some
python code that will print the scons targets and stuff into a format that
the IDE can grok rather than build them.

> God, how I miss the buildsystem that would use
> xml files or smth similar that is easy to parse and modify ;)

It's called ant or maven and while it's easy to parse, believe me it is NOT
easy to modify.

--
      Guillaume.
      http://www.telegraph-road.org