Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Mon Feb 14 20:22:58 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 20:35, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Montag, 14. Februar 2005 19:30 schrieb Anders Lund:
> > On Monday 14 February 2005 17:02, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > > The current build system is *way* scarier IMHO :-)
> >
> > Then, when writing a KDE application or plugin or library, you can do
> > with a *very* small and simple Makefile.am. Whatever choice we make for a
> > replacement, we should be sure that we can achieve the same ease.
>
> On the other hand, the build system creates a configure that is orders of
> magnitudes bigger than the actual plugin's code :-( (reminds me of the
> stand alone wordcompletion plugin for KDE 3.2).
>
> The new build system should be much more space efficient in this regard.

That would of cause be nice, and speed would be nice too. the current
configure script takes no shorter for a 2 file plugin than for a full module.

But imo that is less important than reliability and ease for the application
developer. Afterall, average users aren't expected to compile stuff on their
own. The rest of us can clean up and compress our sources and build files.

-anders
--
www: http://alweb.dk
jabber: anderslund at jabber.dk