Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Peter Rockai (mornfall) mornfall at kalyxo.org
Mon Feb 14 19:09:15 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 17:46, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 14 February 2005 17:50, Stephan Kulow wrote:

[snip]

> cmake not only supports out-of-source-builds, it explicitely encourages
> them. Just go into any directory, and enter
> # cmake ~/src/kde3/kdebase/ <return>
>
> After this run make and you're done.
>
> And you can write arbitrary complicated configure tests with cmake.
That's true of pretty much any system that has no hardcoded limits... The
question is how scalable and easy that is. Looking at CMake source, it is NOT
anything i would want to deal with (it looks like a homebrewn macrolanguage,
in the vein of IF(X11_X11_INCLUDE_PATH) SET(X11_INCLUDE_DIR
${X11_INCLUDE_DIR} ${X11_X11_INCLUDE_PATH}) ENDIF(X11_X11_INCLUDE_PATH)...).
Also, CMake has a nasty habit of littering your source with dozens of helper
files like CMakeError.log, CMakeCache.txt, cmake.check_cache,
CMakeSystem.cmake, CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake et cetera et cetera...). It also
uses unix make to do the build. I suggest we forget it now. Out of tree
builds are possible without cmake, too.

--
Peter Rockai <mornfall()kalyxo!org> {+421907533216}
http://www.kalyxo.org, http://www.kde.org, http://www.debian.org