Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 14 16:44:41 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 17:02, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > people away. Answer this: what is more scary: the current build system or
> > the idea of throwing anything you know about the current build system
> > away?
>
> The current build system is *way* scarier IMHO :-).

Yes. Having a simpler build system is definitely a worthy goal in the long
term.

> As far as I know, scons is the only build system which also has
> autoconf-like features.

cmake (http://www.cmake.org) too.

For testing purposes I could add cmake-support e.g. to kdebase/kfind/. This
could live parallel to the Makefile.am, no problem there.

The same could be done for scons, I guess.

I still have one question: what is libtool good for ? Can we live without it ?
(cmake doesn't use libtool).

Bye
Alex