thoughts on the systray

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Mon Feb 14 15:10:56 GMT 2005

On Sunday 13 February 2005 8:30 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> no, i don't want to eliminate "minimize/restore on click", but i would like
> to eliminate systray icons that are ONLY (or at least primarily) used for
> that and nothing more. kmail/kontact uses the icon for status as well and
> therefore belongs in the systray =)

I definitly don't think this shuld be eliminated... this is pretty much the
only thing I use the system tray for at all, and I am pretty sure lots of
others are in the same boat.

The system tray is a pretty crappy place for notifications.. it is very small,
and in the farthest possible corner from thwere your eyes tend to be while
using the computer(top left to middle center for LTR people, top right to
middle center for RTL people). Unless the notifications are large,
blinking-type boxes ( or have sounds), you hardly notice them at all. I sure
don't notice my KMail message count increase unless I look directly at it.

However, it is ideal for getting things "out of the way' so to speak. In fact
I am pretty sure that is why the thing was created at all... to be able run
apps that you want access to once in awhile, but don't like to be in the way.
It was not until very recently (in the history of the "tray" concept) that it
started being used for notifiations.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.