thoughts on the systray

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 11:35:25 GMT 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:45:51 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > A really cool feature would be an additional "Minimize to Traybar" for each
> > app.  That way you could store away long-running apps to a place where they
> > don't take up so much space on your instantly available Taskbar (my main
>
> how about a "Minimize to Icon on Taskbar"? we could then push all these icons
> to one end of the taskbar, and you'll still have access to all their windows
> individually (which you wouldn't with the systray) and we don't break our UI
> metaphores. i'd actually be willing to implement this ... would it satisfy
> your needs?
I'd like that a lot, it's actually the sort of thing I was thinking of
when I said 'seperate them out from the systray/notification area
somehow'.
(The reason I suggested possibly combining it with a few other actions
(keep above, etc.) was to reduce clutter in the titlebar, as by itself
this doesn't 'do very much', but combined with a few other things it
might be enough to be worth spending a titlebar button on...)
In the end the only thing I really care about is that these trivial
apps (KsCD, Kaffeine, etc.) are out of the systray, with the ability
to still achieve a similar effect /if you want to/, in the end I don't
really care how it's accomplished ;).