thoughts on the systray

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 01:12:24 GMT 2005

In my opinion the problem isn't apps embedding themselves in the tray
for the sole purpose of being embedded in the tray per se, as it can
be useful and there's certainly situations where the user might want
it, but rather that it is left to each app to decide this and not the
user -- who is then stuck with some apps which are always in the
systray, and others (s)he can't get out of it.
My thought was to have some sort of KWin-titlebar-action for this,
combining it with a few other things (possibly including but not
limited to, on all desktops, keep above others, etc.), essentially a
way for the user to say 'this app is important'. That way the user
gets total control over which apps are in the systray, and which
aren't. (Or, rambling now, maybe have a seperate area for these sorts
of apps, to seperate them from the 'notification area' -- maybe also
replace their taskbar entry entirely with an icon in this area...).