kdelibs/kdecore/network

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Sun Feb 13 13:43:08 GMT 2005

Dirk Mueller wrote:
>On Sunday 13 February 2005 04:02, you wrote:
>> Moved ipv6blacklist to work only on non-IPv4 hosts. This way, this can
>> no longer be considered for "adblocking", but it can be used to kill
>> broken sites.
>>
>> The old feature of full blocking is no longer present.
>
>why was it removed? any complains?

Let me explain better, because other people have asked.

I introduced the blacklist feature to get around broken DNS servers, that
would drop or somehow return wrong answers for IPv6 lookups. My
understanding is that we shouldn't talk at all to those servers and
simply say that anything under those domains doesn't exist.

However, it was argued that some sites that are problematic are the very
sites people want to access, such as banking sites.

Instead of adding a new blacklist, I simply moved the functionality of the
existing one. Now it avoids sending IPv6 queries in most cases -- there
is still one case it will send, but it's very rare and I don't think
there's any KDE code using it. That in turn means that normal IPv4
queries go through untouched.

The end result is that the ipv6blacklist file can no longer be used as an
adblocker list -- a functionality it was never intended to do in the
first place.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cweað "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.