kdelibs 3.4beta2 make still broken for Openbsd

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Fri Feb 11 23:20:50 GMT 2005

Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>> > While you are at it, can you perhaps adapt the configure checks to
>> > check for the existence of lwres/netdb.h and use that if detected?

No.

>> > The get*_r functions are hidden away in that header on FreeBSD. :-\

>Looks like it's liblwres which comes with BIND9, I guess supporting that
> in a generic way could be beneficial for more systems than just
> FreeBSD... looking at kdecore/configure.in.in though, I'm not sure if I
> can come up with anything you might like. Let me know if I should try
> anyway or if you need a guinea-pig for testing...

lwres isn't DNS. It requires a lwresd daemon running. BIND9's named can
serve as lwresd as well, but I don't know any default installation that
turns that on or lwresd.

lwresd is like nscd, but better implemented. However, lwres_* functions do
not revert to DNS, if I remember correctly.

I don't think that adding yet another library, just for name-resolution,
is a good idea. If people are using platforms without proper functions in
the default libraries, they won't get the full functionality.

As for your other email on getaddrinfo being thread-safe, I replied in
private. To summarise: yes, it is supposed to be thread-safe, and so is
getnameinfo. However, the practice is different from theory.

If FreeBSD has properly thread-safe functions but doesn't have
getservbyname_r & family, I'll need to add an exception to allow
parallelised name-resolution. But the mutex will have to stay.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.