kdelibs3 and IPV6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Thu Feb 10 18:18:03 GMT 2005

Jason Keirstead wrote:
>I really think this case needs to be handled for 3.4, via some
> mechansim.. even if it is hidden away in a config file and not easily
> exposed.

There is: KDE_NO_IPV6.

Set it to anything before KDE is loaded, or in startkde itself. That will
disable IPv6 lookups in almost all occasions.

>If you don't want / need / care about Ipv6, then it shouldn't affect the
>desktop negatively.  I have found here that disabling IPv6 in kdelibs
> myself, has had a noticeable increase in network performance, even
> though my local DNS server seems totally IPv6 compliant from what I can
> see.

I think the problem lies in a layer even below KDE. I have been debating
how to approach the glibc people about such a drastic change in
behaviour. And even so, this would solve the problem only on Linux
platforms. Other systems would still be affected.

There is a bug report on this subject, if anyone is interested.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.