kdelibs3 and IPV6

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Thu Feb 10 15:53:36 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 5:22 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> In other words, there was no use in allowing a choice in the matter: if
> you don't have IPv6, the resolution is not needed. If you do, then you
> probably want the resolution.
>
> The only case left is those users who don't want IPv6 but have it enabled
> nonetheless.

I really think this case needs to be handled for 3.4, via some mechansim..
even if it is hidden away in a config file and not easily exposed.

People who are running KDE on shared desktops have absolutely no control over
whether or not that machine has IPv6 enabled at a kernel or system level, but
for numerous reasons they may not want to have KDE looking up every host via
IPv6 - especially since it can have such a *huge* performance impact with
certain hosts (and even with compliant hosts, it still has a small impact -
an impact that is aggregated when you take the whole desktop into account).

If you don't want / need / care about Ipv6, then it shouldn't affect the
desktop negatively.  I have found here that disabling IPv6 in kdelibs myself,
has had a noticeable increase in network performance, even though my local
DNS server seems totally IPv6 compliant from what I can see.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.