Character encodings (UTF16)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Feb 9 14:50:59 GMT 2005

Hi,

 I'm sending this to core-devel, as it affect many applications
including Kate (and everything using Katepart), KEdit, Konqueror and
maybe others. There seem to be a problem with dealing with certain
UTF16 encoded files. The question is whether the problem is in KDE/Qt
or the files in question are broken. Attached is a file that renders
fine in Firefox and Opera, the reporter says that it was saved in NVU,
while it shows up as garbage in Konqueror, Kate if opened as UTF16.  In
KEdit it's the same as in Kate when opened in UTF8 mode ("space" after
every character), while Konqueror in UTF8 mode shows the source.
 Does anybody know if this is a real problem (wrong handling of such
files) or it's a problem in the file itself? Certainly for the user it
looks like a real problem, especially that there are applications out
there that can work with the file. If I run a
"recode utf16LE..utf16 filename" on it, the resulted file can be opened
in every KDE application.

Andras