Generating API docs on the (web) server

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Feb 8 16:16:33 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 06:52 am, a.degroot at science.ru.nl wrote:
> On api.kde.org, the KDE 3.3 apidox (or perhaps only from CVS) are
> dynamically generated. We would like to do something similar for the KDE
> PIM apidox -- except that the PIM dox are _not_ meant to be a stable
> interface like the kdelibs ones are supposed to be, so hosting them on
> api.kde.org is probably not a good idea.
>
> pim.kde.org is supposed to (become / be) a portal for developer
> information (and some user informaton, I suppose), so this is a natural
> place to host such stuff, but the question is: how?
>
> Adding 74M of generated dox to CVS for pim.kde.org is _not_  a good idea,
> I don't think.
>
> Add to this the complication that we might want to tweak the output so
> that it actually resembles the rest of the site (or the rest of kde.org,
> for that matter) -- though that's something of later concern.

So far I've been able to determine that the only file stored in CVS for api.kde.org
is a README (for example in developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api)
that says "The documentation is generated on the fly using doxygen. You can find it online
at http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/".

I can't believe that is really generated "on-the-fly"...
Anyhow, my guess is that somebody runs 'make apidox' in kdelibs, stuffs the resulting apidocs
subdir somewhere on the www server and then some magic in an apache config file
says where to point when the documentation/library/cvs-api is requested... but that's just
my educated guess.

Does anyone know for sure??

Regards,
Allen
--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE