Dynamic allocation of debug areas (Re: Removing amarok from kdebug.areas)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Feb 7 08:59:52 GMT 2005

On Sunday 06 February 2005 22:17, David Faure wrote:
> > Reserving a specific "private use" range for that would be a first step.
> > (2500 to 2999 ?)
>
> The debug output would then look like "private use 1: <...>". Not very nice
> :/ A possibility would be to introduce a method to set the label of a given
> area number

Yes, that's the idea (either runtime method or config file).

> , but this assumes no conflicts (which might happen if both the
> app and a part or plugin that it ends up loading, use e.g. 2501).

That's why it is reserved, it should only be used by apps and not by plugins
that can be loaded by other apps (such as kparts).

For those I guess your idea of querying for a free number could work.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download