DCOP interface in kicker broke compatibility?

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Thu Feb 3 07:29:01 GMT 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:46 am, George Staikos wrote:
>    I think the backwards compatibility of DCOP interfaces is more important
> than even binary compatibility of our libraries.  It's not like there are
> many real commercial, binary-only applications out there using kdelibs.  On
> the other hand, there are many scripts and tools using DCOP.  Changing the
> interface breaks those apps.
Scripts shouldn't be counted differently to other applications. If only
commercial, binary-only applications count to kdelibs, then only commercial,
obfuscated scripts should too :-).

Perhaps DCOP compatibility should only count when it is formally documented
though - just as internal ABI need not be maintained. A couple of apps do
have documented DCOP interfaces (I just wrote such documentation for
ksnapshot - see posting to kde-doc-english).

Brad