DCOP interface in kicker broke compatibility?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 18:15:59 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 10:46, George Staikos wrote:
>    I think the backwards compatibility of DCOP interfaces is more important
> than even binary compatibility of our libraries.  It's not like there are
> many real commercial, binary-only applications out there using kdelibs.

commercial apps are not the only reason for maintaining library API
compatibility. every third party application developed relies on a stable API
in our libraries, open or closed. the open source apps can be adapted to
change more easily, but chasing APIs isn't desirable. so, no, i don't think
that DCOP interfaces are more important than our library compat efforts.

> On
> the other hand, there are many scripts and tools using DCOP. Changing the
> interface breaks those apps.

changing library APIs break apps that rely on them, too. it's not any
different, or worse, in that sense; the difference, however, is that
enforcing IPC interface compat impacts application developers and puts a
greater burden on them. it also treats all applications and all IPC calls
with equal weight, something we don't even do for libraries (where we
differentiate between "public" libraries and "private" or "unstable" APIs).

which is why i believe it to be worthwhile to examine when, where and how IPC
interface compatibility should/must be maintained. keeping IPC compat can be
a good thing, but not across the board.

--
Aaron J. Seigo