KDE Search Widget

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Tue Feb 1 17:12:46 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 16:48, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 February 2005 16:36, Hans Meine wrote:
> > On Friday 28 January 2005 19:29, Christian Kienle wrote:
> > > quote: "But - Spotlight is even more."
> >
> > Would you do us a favor and elaborate this?  (That could be quite
> > constructive, but a line-broken link to a potentially lengthy PDF
> > document which everyone on the list needs to read for him/herself isn't,
> > IMO.)
>
> http://images.apple.com/macosx/tiger/pdf/Spotlight_Tech_Preview_20050111.pdf

... And having read through it, it looks like a very interresting idea. A
indexer that updates its index as files as change, both content and meta data
indexes, and time tracking as well, with a generic interface available to any
application. Live updated result collections, like kmail search folders. I'd
love for KDE to have something like that, but it seems to need kernel level
support for the realtime updating of the indexes.

Nothing that is just done within the release of cause, but it sure looks
nice :)

-anders

--
www: http://alweb.dk