KControl and "Advanced Options"

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Feb 1 06:02:20 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 04:30, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> Some KControl modules have a "Advanced Options" tabs while other have
> "Advanced Options" buttons.  Should they all try to do the same for
> consistency sake?

If the positive outcome of consistency would outrun any negative impact of
going for non-optimal solutions in particular cases, it naturally would be
the best thing to do.

I would go for dialogs, because they are less invasive on the main
interface(that is, all users), and most users don't need advanced options.

Another issue is the wording. I think the word advanced is condescending on
the user because it revolves around easy/difficult. It neither communicate
what the widgets do -- how do you know whether you actually need an advanced
option? I think some combination with the word details would be better. A
definite answer can perhaps be found with inspiration from Apple's
documentation.

The matter in general is word consistency; I think the right place to /first/
starting to solve this issue is to give KDE the organizational
infrastructure: documentation framework for word consistency, a glossary.
Otherwise it'll grow out of hand again, after one have whacked CVS the first
time. It's guidelines work, in other words.

Cheers,

		Frans