default resolution of kde?

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Feb 1 05:40:48 GMT 2005

(following up this thread to complement)

On Thursday 30 December 2004 22:23, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remember that we decided that the default resolution for KDE should be
> 800x600. I also see that many applications do not enforce this.
>
> I opened my 1024x768 display on konqueror's config, and I see that the tab
> "Web beheaviour' does not fit on my display.
>
> People, please split that tab, or put more options into some advanced
> button or something.

Yes, it's a general problem in KDE, and an important one too. That a
configuration dialog for our most central program -- the web browser --
doesn't fit in a 1024x768 display is alarming.

While this may be seen as a technical issue, I think it is important to
ask /why/ KDE has this general problem, and what have caused it. In other
words; what is it we masquerade in "flexibility" and "powerfulness"? We
should think twice -- not that this case is the only reason -- before
discarding ideas as belonging to those Windows losers and gnomers.

What Max Howell in this thread suggests as a solution -- to wrap dialogs in
QScrollView --  /was/ implemented in KCMultiDialog, but was later on disabled
by Aaron.

Of course, the unrelated layout bugs shouldn't be confused with the solution.

I think the solution is good because 1) it makes HIG-violating dialogs, that
is, the problem, visible and notable to developers, which a list easily
misses; 2) it enforces HIG compliance centrally(the KDE brand); 3) it makes
dialogs _bearable_ for users if developers decides to not fix their dialogs.
Good web pages doesn't have scroll bars; it's almost possible to apply the
same thinking of whether a web browser should have scroll bars, to our
configuration dialogs.

In KDE 4 we can attempt to enable it again, depending on how a future
kde-core-devel thread develops.

Another possibility is to put the QScrollView in kdialogbase, such that it
applies to all dialogs, not just configuration dialogs. This would be
correct, but it makes me hesitate because I think the change would be quite
invasive, _many_ dialogs are too large, and the result could easily be a
rejection from the KDE community. But the end result would be nice. It's
perhaps possible with a wide support("ok everyone, let's deal with the
issue") or that it was first in KCMultiDialog for some time and then moved to
KDialogBase.

But I think it's good; when designing a dialog and when +- a widget decides
whether a scroll bar is activated, it makes people think.

Cheers,

		Frans