KDEinit problem

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sat Dec 31 15:33:09 GMT 2005

Hi,

Since KDE 3.5 Kate is no longer a KUniqueApplication, instead we support named
sessions, and also allows to open files in existing instances.

The latter is implemented by using DCOP to find the application instance to
use and ask it to open the URL. This is done in the main() function, and it
seems to cause a problem with kdeinit, which experiences an error. For
example when opening files from konqueror in this way (with --use in the kate
command line) one gets 2 (!) errors with the text

    "KDEInit could not launch 'kate'."

I have tried calling KStartupInfo::setWindowStartupId( winId, startupId );
with the result of KStartupInfo::currentStartupIdEnv() and the window ID
retrived via DCOP and also calling KStartupInfo::appStarted( startupId ), to
no avail. Looking at the kinit code (in klauncher) it seems like this error
is produced when the process exits at a time that kinit feels is premature.

The question is:

  Is there a way to let kinit know that the request is sufficiently processed?

TIA,
-anders
--
www: http://alweb.dk