Standard gettext PO format

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Dec 30 19:35:08 GMT 2005

On Friday 30 December 2005 14:48, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> >> [: Chusslove Illich :]
> >> First, if LC_ALL is not set to some existing system locale, or set to
> >> POSIX, or not set at all, Gettext will not provide translation. [...]
> >
> > [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> > Then perhaps KDE should set a $LC_ALL if there are not any of the
> > language variables ($LC_ALL, $LANG...) declared. (Perhaps with an
> > option to be POSIX-compatible.)
>
> This could be one solution, but then we would have to find some arbitrary
> existing locale, and that could be a surprise to the user. I could
> investigate this, but I wonder if it is really worth it. All other Gettext
> software does it this way, and users should anyway have proper UTF-8
> locale set on modern system.

I am not sure that you can assume that the locale is in UTF-8. (I am rather
sure that only my system is not UTF-8. (LANG=de_DE at euro) Also we cannot
assume that the operating system is Linux.)

However Gettext seems to have bind_textdomain_codeset, so probably this should
be called to set UTF-8.

(...)

Have a nice day!