Standard gettext PO format

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Dec 30 17:09:32 GMT 2005

> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> As for an example that a user might use, I can think of the system
> having not his language installed and that he install it on its own
> directories.

This would still be possible if Gettext handles language resolution. What
would not be possible is to have a non-English fallback in that case.

For example: user sets German as his default language (catalogs in system
dir), but wants to test a bit of Upper Sorbian (catalogs in home dir), so
he gives KDE_LANG=hsb:de; then, if there is no Upper Sorbian translation
of a given message, he wouldn't get German translation, but English
fallback.

I would argue that this situations is quite rare, and if the user has
copied something to the correct place in his home dir, it wouldn't be to
hard for him to do it again for the additional fallback language. If the
translation in home dir is complete enough, or the user wants English
fallback, then there is no problem at all.

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> There is code in klocale.cpp which handles changes to catalogs inside
>> KLocale (and is called on startup, before any i18n calls), so I guess I
>> could read LANGUAGE there and add its contents to catalogs.
>
> [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> I think that we are misunderstanding us about the use of $LANGUAGE.

Could you clarify? I mean this: if we let Gettext handle language
resolution, and it looks for order of languages in LANGUAGE, it is easy to
set LANGUAGE from inside KDE to whatever order KDE defines; eg. first
languages in KDE_LANG, then settings from config (as chosen in Control
center), then what was in LANGUAGE originally. Or whatever other priority
we define.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)