platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Dec 29 13:29:38 GMT 2005

nf2 wrote:
>Not really. Can't be used by anyone outside Qt/KDE.

That's because they don't want to. Anyone can choose between using the KDE
libraries or not. Anyone can also choose about using libX11 or code the
X11 protocol by hand. If they choose to do it the hard way and not use
the KDE libraries, it's their problem. We're not about to make our lives
that much harder with KIO just because some people refuse to use our
libraries (for whatever reason).[1]

Sorry, there will never be a common infrastructure library that pleases
both greeks and trojans. If you write it in C, with glib, it won't be
used by KDE. If you write it in C++, it won't be used in GNOME. If you
write it in plain C, without glib, you'll end up reimplementing it with
lists, vectors, strings, memory management, etc.

No, common *library* infrastructure will not happen.

What we can hope for and strive for is interoperability, common standards,
common interfaces, etc. RuDI and other integration technologies may prove
very well to integrate code, but for the moment they don't exist yet.

So, stop pushing this common library infrastructure agenda as the holy
grail of Linux desktop.

[1] One of the things I'd like to try after getting DBus going is to
recode the KIO slave-to-app protocol using DBus, thereby giving a greater
chance of integration with non-KDE apps.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."