platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Dec 28 15:36:30 GMT 2005

nf2 wrote:
>I think the design of kio-slaves is problematic anyway, because
>IO-slaves are single-threaded and can't handle multiple clients at once.

This is not a problem. That's how they were designed.

Besides, they *are* multi-threaded. At least the name resolution (DNS)
happens in a multi-threaded manner.

>Therefore real session management is not possible (i guess that's why
>KIO can not write to zip or tar archives for instance).

That's not the reason.

And I don't understand what you mean by session management. It is working
perfectly here, so you must be referring to something else as a problem.

>To achieve real session management and caching, io-slaves should be
>multi-threaded:

Nonsense. That can be accomplished quite well with multi-process
single-threaded IOSlaves. The only drawback is that we assume that
processes are cheap, which is not valid on Win32.

>1) Either a single daemon for all protocols,

a.k.a. "klauncher". The threads are called "kioslaves" and the simple fact
is that they aren't threads, but full processes. There's no difference.

>2) One daemon per protocol or
>3) One daemon per remote user at server.
>
>IMHO such shortcomings should be corrected by writing new network
>transparency library (D-VFS, Common-VFS), perhaps before moving to
> KDE4...

I'll eagerly expect your code and patches to all ioslaves currently in
existence in KDE.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.