platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Wed Dec 28 13:46:43 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 12:08, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 December 2005 10:11, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Especially for HTTP we are supposed to have a cache, so *nothing*
> > should be get two times.
>
> ?? This has nothing to do with the cache. The cache is only once you have
> fully downloaded something. But here we're talking about the very beginning
> of the download; you don't want to wait for minicli to download the whole
> thing before firing up the application [which might not even use the cache
> then, depending on the refresh headers and the cache policy etc.]

But HTTP's GET is about downloading, isn't it? Or can you tell the server
something like "Ooh, sorry, I do not need the rest of the information"?

> > Also this is uncoooperative. You make pay the download twice by
> > the one that is downloading and by the one that offers the server
> > service. (If not by real money, then at least with bandwidth, which is
> > not unlimited either.)
>
> Well, this is why KDE by default attempts to avoid that, you don't need to
> preach to the choir.

I do not know if it is "preaching to the choir".

KIO is a point that personally I would like to see strenghtened, not weakened
in KDE4 (especially that weakening KIO would give fuel for people being
against Konqueror and KParts).

> But I suspect that on Windows / MacOSX it's more about
> running standalone apps, so this use case of passing an ioslave from an
> app to another is certainly less real on those systems. Well the case of
> konqueror remains though (e.g. embedding PDF part from a link on a web
> page).

Well, from the bugs that I remember of KIO, such problems could appear with a
single application. So if we go on the way of "each KIO slave is
independant". I suppose that we will get more of such bug reports. It would
be especially worse if such bugs are especially on non-Linux systems, as
developers for debugging such kind of problems would be rare.

Have a nice day!