Qt-DBUS (was: KDE4's IPC)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Dec 25 13:03:38 GMT 2005

Koos Vriezen wrote:
>Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> I've been running through my mind how we can accomplish the next
>> steps, after the header parsing:
>>
>> 1) the stub
>>  - not necessary, since the Qt-DBUS bindings inspect the meta object
>> directly. We should probably just adapt it to detect the Q_SCRIPTABLE
>> tag, instead of exposing all available slots and signals.
>
>You mean that some app having public dbus objects, installs this in
>KDEDIE/include and users simply include it, create an object and call it
>methods?

Sorry, I've mistaken stub for skeleton.

What I wrote above is for the skeleton and what I wrote below is the stub.

>> 3) the skel
>> - hardest part, I'd write it in XSL with a text output by parsing the
>> XML introspection data. The XSL could also be re-used by a
>> command-line utility like 'dcop' to list the methods in a familiar
>> way.
>> - I'd like the skels to be fully inlined classes, fully namespaced and
>> all you'd need to do is:

>I don't get this, your doing stub stuff. And that IMO would look much
>nicer as described earlier:

Yeah, it's the stub.

> #include <kde-dbus/kopete>
> KopeteStub mykopete ("org.kde.Kopete", "/org/kde/kimproxy");
> mykopete.doSomething();
>
>Does take the default connection, so maybe have a second ctor for that.
>
>I do understand that this only works for remote objects having such a
>.h/idl file and that with signal/slots it's not really necessary.
>However it does look much more c++ and catches parameter types
> mismatches at compile time. Does need a _stub.cpp of course.

I'm aiming at not needing the _stub.cpp file. Move all the code to the .h
file and install it. As long as nothing is virtual in this stub, there
won't be a need to make it belong to one given library.

>(For skel, now we simply declare a class based on DCOPObject and simply
> implement it like a normal class. Would be very nice to more or less
> keep this like that.)

See the other email. This is not likely to happen. You'll derive from
QObject now.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.