kdegames/kfouleggs/ miscompile in 3.5 branch

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sat Dec 24 08:54:18 GMT 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 17:29, R. wrote:
> Just updated my svn of kdegames from the 3.5 branch.  Compiling it provides
> many undefined references.  The only thing that seemed strange to me is
> that board.h includes "common/board.h" which doesn't appear to be there any
> longer.
>
> I'm using gcc (GCC) 4.0.2.

I have been fighting with this ever since visibility support was enabled in
KDE.  The libksirtet code doesn't seem to have been properly designed to
export the classes that need exporting, so the symbols in question aren't
found when kfouleggs and ksirtet tries to link them in.  So this must be why
you're seeing this, since gcc 4 supports visibility.

I gave up after my third commit to "fix" the problem.  I suspect you could
truly fix it by simply KDE_EXPORT'ing every single class in libksirtet (which
I tried to do by changing the CXXFLAGS to have -fvisibility=default in the
Makefile.am's there if visibility support was detected).  But, I'm too worn
out for the effort involved.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne