KDE4's IPC

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 23 18:21:30 GMT 2005

On Friday 23 December 2005 10:30, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I'd like to get the discussion on KDE4's IPC started. I'll try to separate
> my personal opinion and preference from consensus and facts (I'll post my
> opinion in a reply shortly).
>
> According to our Goals page (http://wiki.kde.org/KDE+4+Goals), our options
> for the IPC system are:
> - DBUS
> - DCE
> - DCOP

Hi.

My 0.02 on this, for what they are worth.

i have worked quite a bit with DCE in the mid 90's. DCE is a very stable, well
documented and well understood framework. it comes with de facto integration
with Kerberos and AFS, which is relevant to the infrastructure of large
commercial organizations. on top of all this, it is supported by Microsoft.
there are also CORBA bindings to DCE, which is also relevant to commercial
organizations, which may have chosen to use CORBA instead of DCE. it is also
fast, natively multi-threaded, and low overhead, and being written in C, it
is compiler-friendly/neutral.

the only drawback i see is that, from a perception POV, it is no longer in the
hype main focus. not that this is a technical drawback, but this may be open
to (technically unfounded) criticisms.

my (very humble) suggestion would be to seriously consider it. please do not
think even for a second that i am making this suggestion because i consider
the other two alternatives somehow technically inferior. i am only being
pragmatic here: a KDE IPC mechanism based on DCE would automatically make KDE
compatible with large enterprise/corporations infrastructures.

Happy Holidays to Everyone. :-)

--Stefan

steleman at nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python