KDE4's IPC

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Dec 23 17:14:35 GMT 2005

Thiago Macieira wrote:
>I'd like to get the discussion on KDE4's IPC started. I'll try to
> separate my personal opinion and preference from consensus and facts
> (I'll post my opinion in a reply shortly).
>
>According to our Goals page (http://wiki.kde.org/KDE+4+Goals), our
> options for the IPC system are:
>- DBUS
>- DCE
>- DCOP

Relaying the message I got on my personal email:

===
Presuming that DBUS will be ported to Windows, choosing DBUS as a base
will allow Windows developers using Qt4 to have a upgrade path to
KDE4/win32. Otherwise, going with DCOP will lock these same developers
out of KDE app development because application developers would not want
to support both DCOP and DBUS in their applications.

Additionally DBUS carries with it the possibility of using high-speed
inter-app transports, such as shared memory, in the future.
===

I'm not sure I agree, given that whatever IPC we use will be supported on
Win32. However, the high-speed transport is something that interests me,
for instance for the KIO data transfers.

Not that it can't be done in DCOP...
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.