--enable-debug is not useful...

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Dec 20 18:07:26 GMT 2005

Hi,

 After the discussion about what flags are useful when for a developer,
I switched to --enable-debug from --enable-debug=full. Unfortunately it
was a bad move as now debugging in GDB (KDevelop) is very broken. The
sympthoms are that if I put a breakpoint somewhere at the beginning of
a method, the application stops there, but when stepping over, it will
jump back to the beginning of the method again, like if the method
would have been called once again. Very confusing.
 It also happened that it did not want to step into a method.

I'm writing this mail to warn other developers about the possible
problems. Until this is solved in gcc, gdb or in the flags for
--enable-debug, I just suggest to you --enable-debug=full when
debugging, but try an otpimized build as well to see the possible extra
warnings.

Andras