Fwd: branches/stable/extragear/multimedia/k3b/src/misc

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Tue Dec 20 11:18:43 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 12:07, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 December 2005 11:59, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > >For KDE4, I am not sure anymore. It is not sure that all applications
> > > will be fixed correctly for KDE 3.5.x (and that new developers know the
> > > problem). So perhaps the default should be "always most local" with a
> > > flag to tell "we want the original URL, not the most local one".
> >
> > We can't change KFileDialog's behaviour now.

For KDE 3.5.x indeed: no.

> > Apps expect it to return
> > file:/// URLs only when asking for local files.

And get media://some/path instead, creating problems for unadapted
applications.

> > This means they are not
> > expected to call mostLocalURL on the returned entries.
>
> Yes, so how about letting KFileDialog do that?
> The displayed filename might be a little bit surprising since it'll differ
> from the one selected in KFileDialog, but that's minor isn't it?

... but in that direction it can be fixed by the developer and it works. The
current behaviour means that a non-adapted application does not work (if
there is no network transparency at all) or has curious "features" (mostly
slowlier proceedings due to extra remote copying).

The defaulting to most default in KDE4 would be a progress.

Have a nice day!