uncertain about mimetype desktop files

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Dec 17 10:08:01 GMT 2005

On Saturday 17 December 2005 10:50, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discovered in x-tex-pk.desktop mimetype the entry:
>
> 	Patterns=*pk;*PK;
>
> The consequence is that every file with a name pk is a packed font :-(
> I guess this should be *.pk and *.PK ?

I guess so too, IMHO you can go ahead and make that change.

> Maybe related to this in  x-tex-gf.desktop the entry:
>
> 	Patterns=*.*gf;*.*GF;
>
> This is very unusual because of the * in the extention.

This looks wrong too.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/fonts/metafont.html says
"Metafont font format
The output of metafont is a bitmap font file in .gf (generic font) format.
This is normally immediately converted to a more compact, but equivalent,
packed .pk format with Tom Rokicki's gftopk  utility; pktogf is available to
go in the reverse direction."

OK, this confirms both .gf and .pk.

> I also found some files without any Pattern:
> x-awk.desktop
> x-mswrite.desktop
> x-sharedlib.desktop
> x-sqlite2.desktop
> x-sqlite3.desktop
>
> What is the reason for this?

We don't only use extensions to find out the mimetype of a file, we also
use the contents, when the extension is unknown, with the so-called "Mime
Magic" mechanism. So this is fine.

> Does KDE get the mimetypes from somewhere else so that this should be fixed
> somewhere upstream?

Not at the moment. But you could check that the shared mimetype standard on
freedesktop.org has the right stuff. Let's see...
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/mime/shared-mime-info/freedesktop.org.xml.in?view=markup

Hmm, apparently it has the *pk bug and the *.*gf bug, obviously from the kde
mimetypes. Can you report a bug on
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?product=shared-mime-info&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
?
Thanks.