XSETTINGS spec

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 22:47:42 GMT 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 23:34, George Staikos wrote:
>   The (well, one) point is, when I use firefox elsewhere, then I have
> buttons in different places.  The whole concept is royally confusing.

I think you're seeing this backwards. Users shouldn't have to base their
desktop usage on a basis of learning every application individually.
Desktops should behave consistently. When I'm running desktops X - all
applications bahave in Y specified way.
Usage should never be based on: I'm running desktop X, application A
behaves in Y way, application B behaves in Z way, application C behaves
in W way... metaphor. This is exactly what we want to avoid. Desktops
may behave differently (I'm not saying whether that's good or bad) but
applications running on a desktop should _always_ behave in a well
specified and consistant manner.

Zack

--
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms