XSETTINGS spec

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 16:05:54 GMT 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 09:27, Martin Konold wrote:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/xsettings-spec/xsettings-spec-0.5.ht
>ml
>
> What is the current state/position within KDE about this spec?

Well, one of the things that always hindered its adoption is the fact
that it has X in its name and people always get scarred by that (plus
given the responses so far confused :) ).

We have classes implementing it. Fredrik had a KDE 3 editor that allows
you to play with settings exported via it. I have one for Qt 4. But to
be honest we're not really using it for anything.

Sharing some configuration options - problem XSETTINGS tries to address
- is definitely a real problem. So since currently we don't have a
common configuration framework if there's a push I could add support
for it, assuming we can come up with a good list of things that should
be shared.

Zack

--
Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies in a little jar on your
desk.