XSETTINGS spec

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 15:15:47 GMT 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 03:27, Martin Konold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while discussing ISV issues I have been made aware of
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/xsettings-spec/xsettings-spec-0.5.html
>
> What is the current state/position within KDE about this spec?
>
> According to some people it would allow to change the button order and
> other things for cross desktop compatibility.
>
> I personally dislike to have yet another background process running which
> does most of the time nothing except using resources after startup but
> maybe this can solved.

  The UI issues with this constantly drive me crazy.  Because of the button
order issue, when I run FireFox, I often cancel dialogs I meant to save/Ok.
Wonderful.  So consider that we switch the button order per-desktop.  Now we
have a case where not just a few easily recognizable applications, but -all-
applications, which look the same, on a different computer, will happen to
have the buttons flipped.  Muscle-memory will have me clicking on the wrong
thing all the time when I use a different computer.  So I don't just dislike
the process, I dislike the concept altogether. :)

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/