Why KOrganizer is unusably slow in 3.5?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Dec 6 19:17:24 GMT 2005

I sent this to kde-pim@ and no response, so let's try here.  KOrganizer in 3.5
is completely unusable for me.  I have seen others using it without problem
so it must be something special about my setup.  I use 3.5 branch, and this
is a relatively new thing to happen.  Basically any operation in KOrganizer
is very very slow.  Changing month, etc...  Even opening KOrganizer takes
20-30 seconds sometimes!  Here is what happens when I strace opening
KOrganizer from within kontact for the first time:

$ grep "^open" korg.strace | grep kdeglobals | wc -l
501
$

Furthermore:

$ grep "^open" korg.strace |wc -l
2245
$

Most of those files are KConfig files.  This doesn't count the thousands of
stat()s and other issues.  Anyone know why this is happening?  I'd fix it if
I knew where to look.  I'm assuming that this is the cause of the slowness
since disk usage is very heavy at the same time, but for all I know it might
be just one of multiple issues.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/