KDE 3.5.1 and 3.6

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Dec 5 19:43:17 GMT 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 20:26, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 05 December 2005 20:11, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>
> > > I wouldn't mind seeing them in KDE
> > > 3.5.x. This is not even a 'real' feature if I understand you correctly.
> > > KDE is doing the same thing: It starts, only faster.
> >
> >  No, it's not doing the same thing (and you made my day - do you think I
> > just snapped my fingers and it was suddenly faster :) ? ). One of the
> > patches that makes KDE (not only seem to) start faster is completely
> > reordering the startup sequence.
>
> I.e. a modified startkde-script or something else ?

$ cat 04_startup_phases_kdebase.patch 04_startup_phases_kdelibs.patch | grep
\+\+\+ | awk '{print $2 }'

kdebase/kcminit/main.cpp
kdebase/kcminit/main.h
kdebase/kcminit/Makefile.am
kdebase/kcontrol/dnssd/kcm_kdnssd.desktop
kdebase/kcontrol/energy/energy.desktop
kdebase/kdesktop/desktop.cc
kdebase/kdesktop/desktop.h
kdebase/kdesktop/kdesktop.desktop
kdebase/kdesktop/main.cc
kdebase/kicker/kicker/core/extensionmanager.cpp
kdebase/kicker/kicker/core/kicker.cpp
kdebase/kicker/kicker/core/main.cpp
kdebase/kicker/kicker/panel.desktop
kdebase/kioslave/home/kdedmodule/homedirnotify.desktop
kdebase/kioslave/home/kio_home.cpp
kdebase/kioslave/remote/kdedmodule/remotedirnotify.desktop
kdebase/kioslave/remote/kio_remote.cpp
kdebase/kioslave/system/kdedmodule/systemdirnotify.desktop
kdebase/kioslave/system/kio_system.cpp
kdebase/ksmserver/KSMServerInterface.h
kdebase/ksmserver/README
kdebase/ksmserver/server.cpp
kdebase/ksmserver/server.h
kdebase/ksmserver/startup.cpp
kdebase/kxkb/keyboard_layout.desktop
kdebase/startkde
kdebase/kdesktop/KDesktopIface.h
kdelibs/kded/kded.cpp
kdelibs/kded/kded.h
kdelibs/kinit/autostart.cpp
kdelibs/kinit/klauncher.cpp

$ ls -l 04_startup_phases_kdebase.patch 04_startup_phases_kdelibs.patch  | awk
'{ print $5, " ", $8 }'

45363   04_startup_phases_kdebase.patch
5298   04_startup_phases_kdelibs.patch

 And although the most complicated and the largest it's not the only one.

> A modified startkde script can be tested quite easily, e.g. publishing on
> kdeapps.org can help.

 I don't think so, definitely not in this case.

> IMO it would be nice if we would find a way to have this feature in some
> 3.5.x release.

 Just to make this part clear, the big difference comes from the font patches.
These just make a difference. Was there KDE3.6 planned I wouldn't bother with
putting them in 3.5 at all.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer