[kde-artists] default artwork for 3.5

theobroma theobroma at kde-artists.org
Wed Aug 31 14:29:01 BST 2005

http://www.kde-artists.org/files/wave/full_logs.tar.gz I have nothing to hide.

> > I submitted the top two from the polls to the kde-artists mailing list to
> > get their comments and approval . To which Ken replied:
> > "What in the hell is going on? We discussed this stuff- the wave should
> > not change for 3.5 IT IS USED IN OTHER PLACES AS WELL; SO WE CANNOT
> > CHANGE IT IN ONE PLACE WITHOUT CHANGING IT EVERYWHERE!!!!!"
> >
> > Then today Ken set the channel topic on the #kde-artists' public IRC
> > channel to: "who in the hell said to change the wave for 3.5!!!!!" and he
> > went on to say...
> >      "[03:36] * kwwii is extremely upset about this crap
> >       [03:36] <kwwii> there is no point in having the kde-artists website
> > if all it does is make things worse!!!!!"
>
> Which is pretty accurate if you consider that the decision made at
> meetings is reversed without communicating these changes first.
http://www.kde-artists.org/files/wave/full_logs.tar.gz
> > The new KDE-Artists.org website has provided artists in the KDE community
> > with a place to contribute their artwork to the applications that they
> > love. Not to mention that the developers now have a means to connect with
> > a much larger group of artists to get the artwork they need.  Despite any
> > disparaging remarks we have followed through on what we proposed and
> > provided exactly what was promised.

Really? This makes no sense. Because your reply clearly said
>> there is no point in having the kde-artists website
> > if all it does is make things worse!!!!!"
and now you stated this in the same sentence...
> Yes, the artist site has been a lot of help. I was not trying to say
> that we should remove it
>but if things keep going like this I assume
> that I would eventually suggest it.
huh? Idle threats.

> > See http://kde-artists.org/files/wave/ to view examples of the graphics
> > that we will be referring to below.
> >
> > The weird thing is that the wave is the same shape...it is just stylized.
> > Another weird thing is that Ken was the one who requested completely new
> > Start pages on the artists site. I think we went about this the right
> > way...we announced a meeting, had a vote etc etc. At one point Ken said
> > that he agreed with what we were doing (excepts from the IRC meetings:
> > http://kde-artists.org/files/wave/excerpt.txt.tar.gz).
>
> What I posted on the artist site was misunderstood (poorly written by
> me) but during the meeting concerning the splash screens and that
> cconcerning the wallpaper I clearly restated what I meant and I think
> that everyone else understood it.
http://www.kde-artists.org/files/wave/full_logs.tar.gz
> > We believe that there is no reason left why one of these cannot be the
> > default wallpaper in KDE 3.5 unless it is an issue of individual control.
> > If we were trying to be renegades we would have just committed the
> > wallpapers but we didn't. We submitted them to the mailing list where we
> > could discuss them but instead we were attacked.
> >
> > To summarize: The wave used in the creation of the proposed default
> > wallpaper is the same shape as the wave in the Konqi start page. We have
> > adjusted and then readjusted the approach to the artwork to meet the
> > timeline for the features list as requested by physos. We have submitted
> > the artwork to the kde-artists mailing list before submitting the final
> > wallpaper to svn. We are not taking the lone cowboy approach and forcing
> > unwanted changes on anyone nor has this been developed in secret.
>
> The point is this: we included the wave for the first time in 3.4
>
> Why should we change things for the sake of change, so late in the game?
> This is the exact reason that KDE keeps looking worse and worse.

> Again, during the wallpaper meeting we agreed *not* to change anything
> for 3.5. We also agreed to work on making good graphics for KDE4
> starting now, so that they are really done and really good by the 4.0
> release.
You are going back on what you clearly agreed to yet again?
http://www.kde-artists.org/files/wave/full_logs.tar.gz
So in the end this was just another deception ala Ken? In the least this is
yet another future deception waiting to happen. Appeal is slated to dominate
4.0.
> > These are the logs from two public IRC meetings. One that was scheduled
> > to address what we were looking for in the default artwork for KDE 3.5.
> > Another to discuss a new timeline and then redefine the elements for the
> > default artwork so that screenshots could be included in the feature
> > guide. http://kde-artists.org/files/wave/full_logs.tar.gz
> >
> > Click here to read the threads about the default artwork on
> > KDE-Artists.org:
> > http://kde-artists.org/main/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,48/expv,0/boa
> >rd,43.0
> >
> > So we have two questions:
> > What should we do about the new artwork for 3.5 but more importantly how
> > should decisions be made about the default artwork for KDE in the future?
> > We have an ever growing resource of artists in our community but we need
> > clear guidelines if we are going to more forward in a positive direction.
>>
> Art by commitee rarely works. Allowing the people at the artist site to
> control the entire artwork is in my opinion a very bad idea.
Really. So what would we call "open source" artwork that is not developed in
an open way?
Kollaboration works Ken it works not because of anything that I have done. It
works because of the people that are passionate about the freedom. Developers
finally have a place to get the artwork that was never provided before.
Freedom to improve and contribute parts of themselves to a D.E. is unheard
of.
>Anyone can
> make an account there whether they know what they are talking about or
> not.
This is true of all membership sites including svn very weak argument.
>It is a great source of information, and a great place to share
> ideas but let us not go to far with this.
It has already far exceeded any expectations I have ever thought possible. So
its too late for your statement to make any sense.
More has been accomplished as a community at kde-artists.org than even I am
able to understand. It will go as far as the community chooses to go.
> We are in the process of making a multimedia featuer guide for 3.5 so
> any changes in the artwork now ruins any work that has been done on
> this, and I think that this is something that KDE drastically needs as a
> marketing tool.

theobroma