Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Mon Aug 29 10:26:51 BST 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 10:38, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > KDE Workspace
> > Consisting of what is the desktop.  Libraries and applications don't
> > need to be portable and probably will only work with X11.  On other
> >
> > -System Settings (KControl or whatever it will be)
>
> and just to be perfectly clear, this does not include the KCM classes, but
> just the ++KControl application.
>
> > -KDEPrint
> > -KFileDialog
>
> IMHO these belong in Framework, not Workspace. they are not part of the
> desktop area and certainly are of interest to those running KDE apps on
> other platforms. just as we have XMLGUI in Framework, so we should KDEPrint
> and KFD.
Yeah ;) I agree here.
We need to have a our complete framework ported, this will help us, we need a
shaped kdelibs, for sure, but not to split the current framework into parts
but to make it easier to port the whole framework over, with framework, I
understand the stuff we have atm as libs in kdelibs, the io slave
architecture, kconfig, kfile, .... and in addition our common used parts,
like khtml, katepart, ...... If we can get kdelibs to be in a good shape,
both code wise, maintainance wise and component wise, there is no reason why
porting it as our framework to windows & mac won't work out.

<snip>
> > They would be useful applications in OS X etc.
>
> remind me why i care if the KDE File Manager runs on OS X again? or
> Konsole? or KWrite? Help Center i can understand, but for the others this
> makes very little sense, which makes this requirement a very poor part of
> the Basics definition IMHO.
>
> > This module might not contain everything that a user would
> > expect a basic desktop to have (no calculator, spreadsheet etc) as
> > those are in the rest of the modules (kdemultimedia, kdeutils etc)
>
> this seems to miss the most obvious requirement for these apps: they are
> the ones that are needed to run Workspace without problems. we need a file
> manager to launch when someone clicks on an icon, we need a web browser to
> launch web pages from plasma, we need the help center to show user manuals,
> etc, etc... that makes it very obvious why these applications are bundled
> in this manner
Yes, but we should define what means the KDE Desktop on Unix, where we have to
pick a specific subset of apps as the "default desktop" we ship as KDE, atm,
this is really fuzzy with all the modules which just tend to be regarded as
KDE. That we need to care on the user settings/platform defaults which
browser to open, which editor to use (in the end mime-type settings and more)
is clear IMHO

cu
Christoph