Malaga Discussions I

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Mon Aug 29 09:12:23 BST 2005

Am Sonntag 28 August 2005 18:42 schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
> On Sunday 28 August 2005 13:00, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > So I'd like to open this discussion to a broader audience: Do you know of
> > any DCOP interfaces currently used, that you consider worth surviving for
> > about forever?
>
> I'm working on extending the Krita dcop interface to enable scripting --
> using dcoppython for instannce -- and I'd like to know whether that'll
> remain useful work, or whether I should scrap that code and wait for
> something similar to appear.
Your work on providing a dcop interface won't be worthless. Our DCOP
interfaces were always a strong part of KDE technology. But as krita will
be ported to KDE4, it won't be possible to use the old scripts anymore.
Your users will have to do some search and replace (I have no idea yet
about the details, but it should be in the line of 'dcop krita' -> 'dbus
org.kde.krita') - that's the kind of migration work we expect here from
our users going from KDE3 to KDE4.

And the main question is not if we should have scripting or no scripting,
but if we can put that work on our users/3rd party app developers or if
we should make sure 'dcop krita' will work in the future.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Mein Lebensmotto?
Man muss auch mal 1+1 gerade sein lassen können.