Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sun Aug 28 23:07:40 BST 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 15:06, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Samstag 27 August 2005 14:36 schrieb Anders Lund:
> > On Saturday 27 August 2005 14:26, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > > the file view is inconsistent with Konqueror's - as is ark's,
> > > standalone KFind's, Kate's file lister,...
> >
> > In most places KDirOperator is used (the file dialog, kate and any app
> > that copied kates directory view, and more). If konquerors view can be
> > used with a comparable speed and with a resonable set of features, it
> > should be (moved and) used by that class.
>
> So we have two different trends here? One side (let's name them Qt
> maintainers) support KDE's future as least common dominator that Qt can
> easily replace or use. And another side sees rather more connection between
> konqueror and the file dialogs? Did I summarize correctly?
>
> I find it hard to believe that we can hook the KDE file dialog into Windows
> applications not written for KDE. So without that, you would always have
> KDE applications use another file dialog than any other application on
> windows. Not sure that's appealing - even if the KDE file dialog might have
> more options. On the other hand, not allowing customizing or embedding the
> file dialog because it might break for use on non-KDE desktop shells sounds
> broken as well. So what do we do here?
>
> I suggest we leave KDE file dialog in kdelibs but in a special library
> (libkfile sound good, no? :) allowing custom use as currently and
> applications using only the static functions to get a file name will use
> the out of process file dialog pre forked without needing to link to
> libkfile (as the static functions would stay in libkio).

I think that's an excellent compromise. Noone in KDE would be crippled or
loose flexibility, non-KDE apps could fire up our dialog (with an interface a
bit richer than just what kdialog's commandline interface offers) and KDE
apps may in the common case get a chance of firing up a 'native' dialog on
other platforms.

Simon