Malaga Discussions II

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Sun Aug 28 15:20:43 BST 2005

Hi!

As you might have noticed, my last mail had a I in the subject, so here
is the II.

After the topic of IPC and a little break (with group photo), we had another
discussion on the topic of scripting. We all agreed, that scripting will be a
major component of KDE4 and that we need to make sure it's as good as
possible.

The discussion went a bit back and forth on the topics 'Do we support only
one or several languages?' and 'If one, what language will that be?'. I was
actually the strongest supporter of having a multi-language strategy, but in
the end we left it to the developers there representing the actual kdebindings
authors (Ian, Rich and Richard Dale) and they kind of agreed that one
excellent binding is more than enough work. During the discussion on the
numbers of languages to support it was already obvious that the majority of
developers wants kjs/qsa (which are said to differ only in details so far) to
be _that_ language.

Please note though that this whole discussion was just about scripting
applicatins, neither about application development nor about heavy plugins.
There is still something left to discuss, but we did a start.

I wish I had the time to rewrite kpat right here to be split between the core
and scripted games, but I think I'm going to concentrate on other kind of
scripts for now.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Mein Lebensmotto?
Man muss auch mal 1+1 gerade sein lassen können.