kde-games package removal proposal

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Tue Aug 23 12:49:00 BST 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 17:08, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > Really, we shouldn't have two games of the same game play. The only
> > > thing I see different between ksame and klickety is the animation in
> > > ksame.
> >
> > Might be, but what I see is that klickety doesn't have a pleasant UI like
> > ksame.
>
> and i'd say exactly the opposite.
>
> this is the problem with deciding what is and is not shipped with KDE by
> personal preference and meandering discussion. this is, i believe,
> something we must change within the project because right now one person
> who is a valued contributor but who has unique tastes and opinions can
> completely hamstring the project. obviously a game isn't that big of a deal
> in the long run, but this exchange does show what is wrong when it comes to
> module maintenance, or lack thereof, in KDE right now.
>
> the gateway for code *into* KDE is wide open, but the gateway out is almost
> impossible to traverse. this is a very poorly balanced set of guidelines.
> it's bad enough for applications and modules (c.f. this thread) and it's
> crippling for libraries.

Then perhaps we should have "second choice" modules in KDE (or however you
call goods with liitle damages that are sold cheaper while still looking as
good as undamanged.)

That would have the advantage that the applications are not degraded directly
from KDE to playground (as probably they would not fit the extragear policy).

For the user, it would mean not to expect fully working applications.

Also it would be a sign for new developers (or other developers searching for
new tasks) that such applications need work.

Have a nice day!