why the common-->../common symlink in doc dirs?

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Aug 18 07:28:19 BST 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 21.05, tnagyemail-ml at yahoo.fr wrote:
> Meinproc could simply use the language reference in
> index.docbook ?

It's just not that simple or it would have been done already when all the
others were changed to use the help kioslave.

Firstly, the links to the licenses are entities, which require an actual path
(a real one, or the DTD breaks and all the docs are invalid.)  Since we
cannot know the absolute path for all installations, a relative one is
required.

We can't use the help kioslave to get at the path, because that is KDE
technology, and our docs could be, and often are, processed outside of KDE.
The help:/ links for graphics and styles are only used in khelpcenter for
instance, and we already have to maintain a separate set of stylesheets in
order to generate docs for the docs.kde.org website, which uses the relative
path for the docs.  However, that only works for things that are actually
generated during the processing, whereas entities need to be specified either
directly in the doc or in the DTD.  Clearly we can't put a help:/ url in a
pdf that might be read on windows, or versions of documentation placed on
application websites.

Changing the links to the licenses would require either maintaining two copies
of all the documents, doing a nasty hack in the XSLT to post-process replace
the links themselves, or kludging meinproc to do it.  The first is simply not
happening, the second is doable, but that kind of thing is a slippery slope
to manage (I would probably accept a patch to the stylesheet doing this, but
I'm not going to write it.) The last is probably even less likely to happen.

An alternate solution is to simply replace the links to a local copy to a URL
on the web.  I suspect more people will find that annoying than the small
percentage actually experiencing the problem (which so far, is a set of one.)

In any case, this is not a widespread problem causing a huge percentage of
users any issues.  The default KDE build systems manage this correctly
without any intervention on the part of the application author or the
packager)

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts