Proposal: Virtual Folders with IOSlaves and Their Usage

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Aug 16 13:24:31 BST 2005

> I don't think it's going anywhere good. GNOME has been there, and now
> they're removing many of those unused and non-standard URI handlers.
> Check gnome ddl archives of 2004-Feb/Mar/Apr to see why.
>
> What if I decided to change my pictures:/ folder to something else, is
> Konqueror supposed to move my files from the old location to the new
> one? Same for others.

Hmm, I thought it would be the other way around, more like setting certain
folders to behave in certain ways. Say you can have 4 different folders with
photos, in various branches of your filesystem. You can set each of those
folders to be handled by a certain ioslave, in this case the pictures:/
ioslave. That way when you open any of those four particular folders, their
functionality is geared towards pictures, and you get all the goodies that
brings into the game.

The question of defaults, i.e. what happens when you type pictures:/ without
anything after the slash is, I believe, an entirely different matter, and I
don't have any canned answers here.

Cheers, Kuba