Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Tue Aug 16 14:56:00 BST 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 09:41 am, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 11:37, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > Who came up with the idea of "More Applications"?
>
> I can't remember that.
>
> > As a user how am I suppost to determine what is hidden in More
> > Applications?
>
> Explore it. Users learn quickly in what (main) category an entry is and
> once they know (but miss it among the main applications) will look into
> More/.

Sorry, but I have been using KDE as my primary desktop for years and I still
get confused.  I *eventually* look into More only because after years of
abuse my mind associate being pissed off at the menu with having to look into
all the More menus until I find what I want.  I even remember on one work
system manually moving every shortcut in More out of More.

> > Having large menus is better then being confused.
>
> No, the eye can only grasp a certain amount of items (six? seven?) at once.

If that is true why do we have 10+ items in a menu and then *only* 4 in More?
It gets really bad once you install other apps on your system (or heck just
gnome) and soon your menu is 40+ all sorted alphabetically with a little More
menu filled with 4 items.  It is stupid.

-Benjamin Meyer