[RFC] "Documents Folder" icon in "system:/"

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Aug 16 07:40:54 BST 2005

On Monday 15 August 2005 07:28 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Training?  Your logic here fails.  New KDE users don't fall off
> Turnip trucks.  Statistically speaking, most of them are Windows
> users.  You may not want to believe it but in Windows there is a
> directory named "My Documents" which is a subdirectory of the
> directory with the account name.

One of these days your statistic won't be true. Then what do we do?
Throw in the towel and call it quits? Tell the users to wait a year
while we go recode everything for the new demographic? Of course not!
The unfortunate fact is that whatever we do now is what we have to do
until the end of time (or as long as KDE has to worry about home
directories). So we need to do things the right way instead of the
Windows way.

The Macintosh does NOT do things the Windows way, and in particular does
not do the home directory the Windows way. But last I heard it had a
pretty damned good reputation in the usability department, despite the
fact that statistically most Mac newbies are Windows users.

Newbies never remain newbies for long. They may remain non-technical but
they won't remain newbies. I don't think we should consider such an
ephemeral and transient group to be our core demographic.

--
David Johnson