wouldn't tarball snapshots be nice to have?

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 14 00:18:12 BST 2005

On Saturday 13 August 2005 09:49, Artemio wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> So maybe it would be cool to have a daily or weekly KDE development
> snapshot auto-checked from SVN and put on the site. It would be easier and
> somewhat more attractive for people to get the bleeding-edge KDE version
> and start testing it.

Didn't we used to create nightly development tarballs when we were using CVS
anyways?  Of course, a tarball of an svn export'ed module would be different
from a tarball of an svn co'ed module.

I'll see if I can't make a tarball of an svn checkout for at least arts,
kdelibs, qt-copy, and kdebase.  I'm kinda busy though. :(

> However, I remember there can be one problem with such an approach. For
> example once I downloaded a CVS checkout tarball of some app which was
> checked out as "anonymous" (of course). But when I tried to use this
> checkout to update the sources while loggen in as a developer, not
> anonymous, CVS said that each file name collides with the one it's about to
> checkout from the server. Is this the same case with SVN? Can a developer
> download a bzipped tarball of an anonymous SVN checkout and then re-login
> to SVN with his own account without having to checkout these very same
> sources?

Yes.  In fact, that's what we pretty much *had* to do right after the
changeover.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne