KDE Edu & KDE4

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 21:18:16 BST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 21:20, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Thursday, 11. August 2005 20:34, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > My understanding is: KDE is for everyone with a desktop.
>
> I would agree with that. However, the approach of just putting everything
> people could possibly ever want to use into a KDE release actually makes it
> more something "for everyone and nobody in particular".

Are you arguing that kdeedu should _as a whole_ be considered a sort of
extragear that _as a whole_ has its own release schedules, string freezes,
release dude (or dudette, as the case may be)? I can imagine that working to
the benefit of the translators (which other thread recently was it where
Lauri pointed out that i18n is easier with smaller crunches more often?). I
can imagine that working to the benefit of KDE packagers -- one less big huge
module to make sure is in tip-top shape with the current kdelibs. I can even
imagine it being to the benefit of kdeedu because it can release _more_ often
with update data files. An obvious downside is that kdeedu would have to
start worrying about compatibility and define _which_ kdelibs it is for at
any given point (probably most-recent-stable-release, just like PIM).

Is that it? Can you find someone to RD edu, and so relieve Coolo (still main
RD?) from a little bit of work?

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot