KDE Edu & KDE4

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Thu Aug 11 19:34:37 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 11. August 2005 20:16, schrieb Michael Nottebrock:
> On Thursday, 11. August 2005 19:54, Josef Spillner wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 11. August 2005 19:36 schrieb Michael Nottebrock:
> > > Is there some kind of data available that we could use to determine the
> > > success/usefulness of kdeedu more objectively?
> >
> > The usage of arktur, skole and many more such systems in dozens if not
> > hundreds of schools, maybe?
>
> And them including kdeedu, I presume.
>
> Yes, that would be a datapoint, but: Those distributions contain a whole
> lot of other educational software as well and they are highly specialized.
>
> In my opinion this would actually make a point for not shipping kdeedu
> bundled with KDE.

So which user groups does KDE aim at, then? There are some strong forces
pushing KDE for the corporates. That is only to be supported. Traditionally
KDE is also for *nix users, thus admins, developers, researchers. But KDE,
Free Software in general, is also for private computers. Private computers
are at home, at home are families, in families are children. Or others come
with children for visit.

My understanding is: KDE is for everyone with a desktop.

Friedrich